Internships and Opportunities
You can get course credit for internships that are approved by the department. You need to connect with an Anthropology department faculty member who will sponsor your internship and help you in applying for credit. Visit the UNC Anth department website for more details.
- The AAA webiste where you can search for internships in their database and a list of links to other major organizations offering internships. http://www.americananthro.org/LearnAndTeach/ResourceDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=12951
- The Smithsonian’s Department of Anthropology also has several available opportunities. Warning, they make you go through a lot of different websites to find what you want. https://www.smithsonianofi.com/sors-index/national-museum-of-natural-history-nmnh/department-of-anthropology/
- Internships at the MET for those interested in museum careers. http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/internships/undergraduate-and-graduate-students
- Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage has flexible internships opportunities with opinions of 6 weeks to a year and full to part time. http://www.folklife.si.edu/internships/smithsonian
- The Idealist has a large database of internships in the US and abroad. http://www.idealist.org/
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies has job listings on a rolling basis in Washington DC https://csiscareers.silkroad.com/
If you are looking to stand out in the sea of recent college, few ways are more effective than independent research. Completing research demonstrates an ability to plan, coordinate, and follow-through on a project, while also allows a student to acquire experience, confidence, and skillsets that he or she would otherwise lack. However, research can sometimes be expensive. Resources both within and beyond the university can provide students the funding necessary to make research goals a reality. The list below, while not all-encompassing, can help guide the process of identifying what scholarships exist and what they are designed to support.
|The SURF Grant||$3000||Late February||Link|
|The Burch Fellowship||Up to $6000||Mid February||Link|
|The Carolina Global Initiative Award||Up to $6000||Mid February||Link|
|The Class of 1938 Scholarship||$5000||Late January||Link|
|The Senior Honor Thesis Award||$500||Late February||Link|
|Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship||$2500 + Tuition (Summer)
$5000 + Tuition (Academic Year)
For more information on the process of beginning, conducting, and presenting research, or to set up one-one-one meetings with experienced research specialists, check out the UNC Office of Undergraduate Research (our.unc.edu).